Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Most and Least Reviewed Books Here

People can pick any of the Newbery winners they want to review here. Initially, we tried to get people to commit to reading all 88 of the books, but life gets in the way, even without a deadline, and people have dropped out and new people have joined and no one's managed to read and review all of the books yet.

But how many reviews there are for a given title is somewhat of a measure of popularity, or at least a measure of how controversial and easy it is to talk about a given book.

Over the past few years, the most reviewed winners here have been:

The Tale of Despereaux (10)
The Giver (10)
A Wrinkle in Time (7)

Books that have only been reviewed once include:

The Westing Game
Rifles for Watie
Ginger Pye
Call It Courage
Invincible Louisa

I'm surprised no one else has reviewed The Westing Game! I thought it was a beloved favorite. Someone else really needs to write about it. I'm also really curious to hear what you think of Call It Courage and Miss Hickory.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I really enjoyed The Westing Game. I too am surprised that more people haven't read and reviewed it.

-Valerie (who usually just lurks & enjoys reading the book reviews)

Amanda said...

I just bought the Call It Courage audiobook for my library--I'll steal it off the to-be-cataloged shelf and listen to it next (probably starting next week). I also bought an "Alcott Centennial Edition" (published 1968) of Invincible Louisa at a Friends of the {local county) library book sale, so I'll move that up in the queue, as well as The Westing Game, which has always sounded interesting.

I've listened to The Giver, A Wrinkle in Time, Bridge to Terabithia, Criss Cross, and A Single Shard on audiobook recently - just haven't gotten around to posting about them yet!

Anonymous said...

Now I have some more books to put on my review list! I'll be back to browse more of your interesting discussions. Great site!