Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Author Comments upon Winning the Medal

This is a nice collection of author responses following the phone call informing them that they'd won the prestigious Newbery award (from 1996, so don't expect more recent authors' comments): Newbery Authors

I found the site Googling "getting your kids to read Newbery", wondering if there was a trick to convincing my son to read something that I recommend. His friends, even the school librarian, random advertisements - they all carry more weight than my opinion. :(

We still do a little "read aloud" to wind up the day, so I've been picking Newbery winners that I want to read for that. He does admit that some of these are pretty good. But except for The Twenty-One Balloons, I've only been doing books that I've already read that I really know he'll like. I'm good at picking out books that people will enjoy, why won't he believe me when I say it's something he'll like? It must be a tween thing.

On a related topic, I have a whole stack of "girl books" that I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read. It's interesting dividing the Newbery winners up into "girl vs. boy vs. either gender will enjoy" categories.

1 comment:

sam! said...

Hi! I tried to email you but it wouldn't go through. Here is my message:
Hi there!
I'm an 11-year-old boy living in Orlando, FL, and I love the Newberrys. I was
very exited when I found your blog as I have made the same personal goal!
(except I am reading the Honor books too) The winners I have not yet read are:
The Hero and the Crown, The Grey King, The High King,The Bronze Bow, Carry on,
Mr. Bowditch, Adam of the Road,The White Stag, Waterless Mountain, Smoky the
Cowhorse (I checked out the 2 last ones and I'm reading them). As you can see,
I'm not a big fan of Fantasy books. Anyway, I'd love to join your group! My username is
SamECircle and my blog is http://semi-circle.blogspot.com/ and my email is SamECircle@cfl.rr.com