Monday, January 22, 2007

Introducing myself

My name is Bekah and I'm a homeschooling mom to 5 kiddos, apprentice midwife, occasional doula, and avid reader of juvenile fiction. In my personal opinion, juvenile fiction is often more well-written than adult fiction, and I also am on the cautious side of what to expose my children too, so I pre-read a lot of material for them. My oldest son is nine, followed by our only daughter who is seven, then the three littles ages four, two and one in a few days.

After looking at the Newberry list, I'm surprised to see that I've read more of the listed books than I thought. I read many a long time ago, when I was a young adult myself and will enjoy rereading with a different perspective.

1986: Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (Harper)
1983: Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt (Atheneum)
1981: Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (Crowell)
1978: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Crowell)
1972: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (Atheneum)
1971: Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars (Viking)
1968: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg (Atheneum)
1963: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Farrar)
1961: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (Houghton)
1959: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (Houghton)
1950: The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli (Doubleday)
1936: Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (Macmillan)
1934: Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women by Cornelia Meigs (Little, Brown)
1930: Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field (Macmillan)
1923: The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Stokes)

No comments: