Friday, January 26, 2007

The Higher Power of Lucky

I just now finished reading the newly awarded Newberry Award winner for 2007, The Higher Power of Lucky.

It's about a girl whose mother has died. Electrocuted after a storm in the desert. Brigitte, Lucky's father's first wife, comes to all the way to California from France to take care of Lucky. All goes well until one day Lucky notices that Brigittes' suitcase is packed. Lucky is afraid Brigitte is going to move back to France and leave her at an orphanage in L.A. So Lucky decides to run away. She decides that the best, most perfect day to run away is the day there is a terrible windstorm in Hard Pan, California.

I'm not sure what to think of this book. I did enjoy it. It was beautifully written. The illustrations were wonderful. It made me cry a little at the end. But was it Newberry Medal good? I don't know. I think I need to brew on that for awhile.

Have you read it yet? If so, what did you think?
Cross Posted at Blatherskite.

1 comment:

Sandy D. said...

Did you all see the article (by Julie Bosnam) in today's NY Times (2/18)?

Moni, you didn't tell us about the shocking inclusion of the word SCROTUM! ;-)